Thursday, March 6, 2008

Toxic Holocaust... the metal continues





Toxic Holocaust are an odd band. I swear from listening to their songs and reading on their website before seeing them live, I got the impression that the band was just one guy, Joe Grind. Or at least one guy seems to take credit for everything, maybe he's had a rotating cast of people sitting in to play with him on recordings (today however I noticed ex-Misfits guitarist Bobby Steele played guitar tracks on one past release). So I was expecting one dude on guitar and singing, with lots of effects pedals and a drum machine. Not exactly what you'd expect from a thrash crossed with black metal band. When the band played King Cobra, I was talking to Donny, drummer of Zeke, beforehand, and he mentioned touring in Toxic Holocaust. Weird, it didn't actually register with me, I thought he meant selling merch, since he was selling tshirts for both Toxic Holocaust and 3 Inches of Blood that night. But when the band took stage, there he was drumming, along with an additional metal dude, making the band a three piece. The band wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but certainly were good at what they do... metal fronted by a crusty punker dude that looks like he should have been in Discharge. Hear 'em yourself right here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Toxic Holocaust is one guy but he uses other guys for gigs.

Dan 10Things said...

Yeah, that's kinda what I though, thanks for the confirmation!