Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Gibson's

This photo is from just another Friday night at Gibson's (and the crazy part is I know at least a dozen people in the photo). Gibson's Bar and Grill was located located in downtown Seattle on 1st and Stewart (116 Stewart Street). After the Lake Union Pub closed, Gibson's became the go-to destination for garage and punk shows. Brian Foss started booking the bar in 1998. Tons of great shows took place at Gibson's, bands that played included Scared of Chaka, The Valentine Killers, The Gloryholes, Schlong, The Reatards, The Evaporators, The Motards, and The Spits.

The Nisqually Earthquake in 2001 permanently damaged the building Gibson's was in and the bar was closed down. Brian Foss moved on to booking at other venues like Industrial Coffee, The Monkey Pub, The Sunset and Zak's and now is a co-owner and the booker of Funhouse.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm sure you know this, but the Gibson spot is now some upscale/modern looking restaurant. I kind of freaked out walking past it the other night ... it's like the 100% complete opposite of the Gibson!!

Meghan said...

I had a Motards show booked at the Lake Union when it closed (like 2 days before) I called every booker and club in town to get them onto some bill as an opener. No one would touch them.
I called the Gibson house since I knew they had a stage and we could rent gear if we it came to that. I had remembered them doing shows for about 5 minutes in 1989 / 1990.
The shows was insane and the guy told me it was the most money they had ever made in one night.

Andy G said...

Oh man that picture brings back memories!! Those were some fun times! Look at all those underage kids! I didn't even recognize Jed!
Thanks for putting it up! More please!